Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The Walking Dead: Season 6 Finale



*SPOILER WARNING*

Please use caution when scrolling. I am not one to post right after an episode. I give you at least a couple of days to catch up. Don't get mad at me if you keep scrolling and haven't watched the most recent episode. 


I, like many TWD fans, have very mixed emotions after the much anticipated season 6 finale. I have been a fan of the comics for some time and knew what Negan represented long before our group even made it to Terminus. So did a load of other people. 
While I can't speak specifically for anyone but myself, I feel it is safe to say that the overall concensus of this finale cliffhanger was much like finally getting to that perfectly planned night of romance, only to have it completely botched right before climax by a screeching infant.
Boom! Not Pee Pants City. More like Flaccid Pants City.

....Ok. Let me stop here and just say I love this show. I really do. If you knew me at all, even via Twitter, you've seen the massive love I have for this series.
I might whine about my favorites getting killed off but I don't really want the writers to actually listen to me. Writing is their livelihood, not mine.
Besides, I have the dolls. I can make my own show where no one but zombies die if I wanted.
I'll keep watching until the writing starts to suck, I mean really really suck, And, even then, I will still watch it until the very end because that is how I am. (Remember Heroes? Yeah, I watched every single minute.)
I can't say everyone will do the same. I can't say that I won't get to the point where I can't watch it anymore. Who knows? I just don't think the writers should take the threats of rioting so seriously.
So this isn't a complete bashing of this wonderful series. Just a partial beating....

Jeffery Dean Morgan, in my opinion, is the perfect Negan. I also believe Chandler Riggs is the perfect Carl and Michael Cudlitz is the perfect Abraham. 
See where I'm going with this?
They perfectly look the part. 
When I heard he had been cast as Negan, I knew two things. One, he would really bring this villian to life and, two, he wouldn't be seen until the season 6 finale.
With that, I also knew that someone was going to die at the hand of Negan via Lucille because of the comics. The who didn't really matter all that much because I knew someone was going. There was no way to bring Negan into the picture WITHOUT his classic comic book entrance.
So I, like many others, prepped for months for the heartbreaking blow. 



My point is WE HAVE BEEN WAITING AND SPECULATING ABOUT WHO DIES FOR MONTHS ALREADY. Why drag it out even further? 

The articles and interviews are all over the internet of Gimple and crew defending the cliffhanger. 
The new story opens here; The end of 6 really is the end of 6; Nothing more could be told; blah blah blah.
While it is typical television drama prose to give the audience a reason to tune in the next season, I believe they could have accomplished a cliffhanger with Carol, Morgan and the Kingdom characters. In a sense, they did.
We have no idea who Helpful Horseman in football padding really is or where he is taking our only surviving season 1 female, who has been shot no less than three times. 
Couldn't they have possibly revealed who died and then cut to the scene with Carol and Morgan being "saved"?
We could have had time to absorb -insert character speculation here-'s death and still feel compeled to tune in next season to see where the hell Carol is going??

I guess I just feel I was ready to let someone go in April, rather than in October.


Let me know what you thought in the comments section!!!
Thanks for reading!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment