Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Sleepy Hollow Season 3 Finale

*Spoiler alert* Please do not read any further unless you have "witnessed" (haha!) the latest episode of Sleepy Hollow!!You have been warned....

If you have seen the season 3 finale, I am sure you understand the reason it has taken me almost a week to even comment about it, let alone write a post.

We were promised a third season of "getting back to the core story of the Witnesses" at the end of season 2. What we received was a kick in the gut.

Abbie Mills sacrificed herself to destroy Pandora and save the world. Now half of our beloved team is no more. Ichabod Crane is left with the quest of finding her "soul's replacement" and an odd mix of secondary characters to assist him. The only remaining character from the outstanding first season other than Crane, is Abbie's sister, Jenny. 

Now, I am going to skip over the controversial issues (which may or may not be of merit; since I have no quotes directly from Ms. Beharie regarding her departure, and that is the only word I will accept as truth, I can only speculate.) because this isn't a forum for that sort of discussion. This is a blog about TV. Not the politics or gossip behind it.

Moving on. 

This show started out with a major hook. It's second season started off with interesting material but it soon felt like the writers were literally making it up as they went. This is what I believe may have caused the show to make the decisions they did in season 3. While season 2 started out with the Crane family intrigue, the tempo slowed and shifted too much focus on create a villain out of Katrina Crane. 

With Katrina and Henry out of the mix, I was hoping for a more back-to-basics-witnesses-against-the-evils-of-the-world-that-are-somehow-tied-to-Crane's-lifetime-or-the-Mills'-ancestors kind of season. I got a load of new faces instead.

The new group (I'm going to be completely honest, I barely remember their names. Chances are I had to look them up. That might speak volumes.) consisting of Danny, Joe (who was introduced in season 2 but given series regular status in season 3), and Sophie never really got any back story or character depth. The Hidden One and Pandora made interesting antagonists though very underdeveloped characters. I guess what I am getting at is after the seemingly off-course writing of season two, season three was grasping at straws.

Killing off major characters is nothing new. It's always been there in shows like these. But not one of the two MAIN characters. The story and the writers say that Abbie's story was over. She did what she was supposed to do. The next volume will continue without her. 

I have a hard time with this. I love Tom Mison. I love Nicole Beharie. I love the guest stars. I have hope for a new season with Icabod's sense of humor and odd fashion sense but I don't know if that will play as well on screen without Abbie's sense of humor and ability to keep Crane grounded in the current rather than his past.

I suppose I will have to wait and see if it even gets renewed for a fourth season. I have very mixed feelings about watching if it does get renewed.

RIP Abbie Mills

#AbbieMillsDeservedBetter



No comments:

Post a Comment